Cloud Spanner claims 50% cost advantage over Amazon DynamoDB
- Cloud Spanner announces significant price-performance improvements.
- Up to 50% increase in throughput and 2.5x the storage per node.
- Claims to be half the cost of Amazon DynamoDB for most workloads. UPDATE
Amazon DataZone now generally available
- Designed for cataloging, analyzing, and sharing data across organizations.
- Includes business-friendly asset naming suggestions via AI.
- Systematic governance for automated data processes. UPDATE
Azure IoT Hub introduces Cosmos DB endpoint
Azure IoT Hub now allows Azure Cosmos DB as a custom routing endpoint, enabling efficient data analysis in large-scale IoT implementations. UPDATE
Real-time Google Ads data in BigQuery
Google now supports writing real-time Google Ads data to BigQuery, allowing organizations to make data-driven decisions with a ~10 min buffer. UPDATE
AlloyDB Omni now generally available
AlloyDB Omni, the downloadable edition of AlloyDB, is now available, offering flexible deployment across various environments including Google Cloud, AWS, and Azure. UPDATE
Google mitigates record-breaking DDoS attack
- New DDoS attack peaked at 398 million requests per second.
- Utilized a novel HTTP/2 “Rapid Reset” technique.
- Industry-wide collaboration for mitigation and response. UPDATE
QuickSight integrates with Amazon SageMaker Canvas for predictive analytics
- QuickSight now supports machine learning models from Amazon SageMaker Canvas.
- No coding required for building predictive dashboards.
- Enhances analytics from descriptive to predictive, aiding better business decision-making. UPDATE
SageMaker Canvas adds support for foundation models
- Business analysts can now access foundation models in SageMaker Canvas.
- No-code interface for evaluating models like Claude 2, Amazon Titan, and Jurassic-2.
- Easy comparison of model responses to select the best fit. UPDATE
Provisioning + Runtime
Google Cloud unveils H3 VMs for high-performance computing
- New H3 Virtual Machine Series focuses on high-performance computing (HPC).
- Based on Intel’s 4th generation Xeon platform.
- Offers up to 3x improvement in per-node performance and 2x better price performance. UPDATE
Azure API Management introduces Basic v2, Standard v2 tiers
- Public preview of Azure API Management Basic v2 and Standard v2 tiers announced.
- New tiers feature faster deployment, private networking, and higher scale.
- Basic v2 and Standard v2 also aim to provide greater resiliency and hybrid support. UPDATE
AWS launches EC2 R7a bare metal instances
- New EC2 R7a instances use 4th Gen AMD EPYC processors.
- Offer up to 50% higher performance than R6a instances.
- Suitable for latency-sensitive workloads, certified for SAP applications. UPDATE
Active Assist aims to mitigate cloud infrastructure risks
- Active Assist can now flag risky changes in cloud infrastructure.
- Provides recommendations to prevent high-risk deletions and IAM policy changes.
- Feature is immediately available via Recommender API and gcloud. UPDATE
Amazon WorkSpaces enhances app management
Amazon WorkSpaces launches a feature providing admins increased flexibility in managing application bundles while retaining user data. UPDATE
New log routing features enhance Google Cloud's multi-tenancy
- Google Cloud introduces a project as a log sink destination.
- Allows more control for routing logs between different projects.
- Teams can gain increased insights, cost control, and wider ecosystem access. UPDATE
AWS Control Tower adds new controls
AWS Control Tower introduces 22 new proactive and 10 detective controls in its library to aid in meeting regulatory requirements. UPDATE
NPW Insights this week
- 10 IT jobs for AI future-proofing career
- 2023 Google DORA report
- LinkedIn’s embedding based technology