Google mitigates record-breaking DDoS attack
- New DDoS attack peaked at 398 million requests per second.
- Utilized a novel HTTP/2 “Rapid Reset” technique.
- Industry-wide collaboration for mitigation and response. UPDATE
AWS Firewall Manager expands security policies
AWS Firewall Manager now supports referencing security groups in its common policies, allowing traffic between peered VPCs. UPDATE
Provisioning + Runtime
Google Cloud unveils H3 VMs for high-performance computing
- New H3 Virtual Machine Series focuses on high-performance computing (HPC).
- Based on Intel’s 4th generation Xeon platform.
- Offers up to 3x improvement in per-node performance and 2x better price performance. UPDATE
Azure API Management introduces Basic v2, Standard v2 tiers
- Public preview of Azure API Management Basic v2 and Standard v2 tiers announced.
- New tiers feature faster deployment, private networking, and higher scale.
- Basic v2 and Standard v2 also aim to provide greater resiliency and hybrid support. UPDATE
AWS launches EC2 R7a bare metal instances
- New EC2 R7a instances use 4th Gen AMD EPYC processors.
- Offer up to 50% higher performance than R6a instances.
- Suitable for latency-sensitive workloads, certified for SAP applications. UPDATE
Azure Files expands Unicode character support
Azure Files now supports all valid Unicode characters, allowing for more versatile file and directory names and easier migration using tools like AzCopy and Storage mover. UPDATE
Upgrade to Trusted Launch for Azure Gen2 VMs
Support for upgrading existing Azure Generation 2 VMs to Trusted Launch is now generally available, enhancing security features like Secure Boot and vTPM. UPDATE
Multi-user authorization now in Backup vaults
Multi-user authorization is now available for Azure Backup vaults, offering an added layer of security for backup operations. UPDATE
Enhanced soft delete features in Azure Backup
Azure Backup's enhanced soft delete feature is now generally available, offering improved protection against accidental or malicious data deletion. UPDATE
New log routing features enhance Google Cloud's multi-tenancy
- Google Cloud introduces a project as a log sink destination.
- Allows more control for routing logs between different projects.
- Teams can gain increased insights, cost control, and wider ecosystem access. UPDATE
AWS Control Tower adds new controls
AWS Control Tower introduces 22 new proactive and 10 detective controls in its library to aid in meeting regulatory requirements. UPDATE
Active Assist aims to mitigate cloud infrastructure risks
- Active Assist can now flag risky changes in cloud infrastructure.
- Provides recommendations to prevent high-risk deletions and IAM policy changes.
- Feature is immediately available via Recommender API and gcloud. UPDATE
Amazon WorkSpaces enhances app management
Amazon WorkSpaces launches a feature providing admins increased flexibility in managing application bundles while retaining user data. UPDATE
AWS App Runner updates custom domains
AWS App Runner introduces improvements for associating custom domain names to an App Runner service, simplifying certificate and DNS management. UPDATE
SageMaker supports private model repositories
Amazon SageMaker Model Registry now allows the registration of machine learning models from private Docker repositories. UPDATE
Cloud Spanner claims cost advantage over Amazon DynamoDB
- Cloud Spanner announces significant price-performance improvements.
- Up to 50% increase in throughput and 2.5x the storage per node.
- Claims to be half the cost of Amazon DynamoDB for most workloads. UPDATE
Amazon DataZone now generally available
- Designed for cataloging, analyzing, and sharing data across organizations.
- Includes business-friendly asset naming suggestions via AI.
- Systematic governance for automated data processes. UPDATE
NPW Insights this week
- 10 IT jobs for AI future-proofing career
- 2023 Google DORA report
- LinkedIn’s embedding based technology