GKE Enterprise edition launches
- GKE Enterprise, a premium Kubernetes service by Google Cloud, goes live November 15.
- Aims to boost development speed, run critical workloads, and cut ownership costs.
- Offers fleet management, advanced vulnerability insights, and managed governance. UPDATE
Azure introduces advanced Container Storage
- Azure Container Storage now in preview, offering scalable volumes natively for containers.
- Available in 26 regions, simplifies stateful app management on Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS).
- Enables rapid volume scaling, multi-zone storage pools, and dynamic resizing.
- Introduces volume snapshot and clone for recovery and protection. UPDATE
AKS updates Istio service mesh add-on
- Istio-based service mesh for AKS in public preview, updates features.
- Allows minor version upgrades, custom CA integration, and Istio egress support.
- Enhances control over Istio upgrades and traffic management within the service mesh. UPDATE
KEDA add-on now GA for AKS
The KEDA add-on for AKS has reached general availability, offering over 60 scalers for efficient application autoscaling. UPDATE
Multi-cluster Gateway for GKE goes GA
Google announces the general availability of the Multi-cluster Gateway controller for GKE, enabling unified load balancing across multiple clusters. UPDATE
Provisioning + Runtime
Google Cloud announces TPU v5e GA
- Cloud TPU v5e now generally available, boasts 2.3X better price-performance.
- Demonstrated in MLPerf Training 3.1, advances mixed-precision training.
- Enables large-scale training and inference workloads, efficient scaling to 50K chips. UPDATE
Azure Elastic SAN enhances VMware support
- Azure Elastic SAN preview now integrates with Azure VMware Solution (AVS).
- Improved performance with reduced latency, live resizing, and secure storage options.
- Elastic SAN's VMware certification allows scalable storage and performance tuning. UPDATE
Updates to Azure Red Hat OpenShift
Azure Red Hat OpenShift now supports larger clusters with 120 nodes and extended 14-month lifecycle, plus improved resource tagging. UPDATE
Azure Gateway introduces IPv6
Azure Application Gateway v2 now supports IPv6, offering dual-stack connectivity to meet diverse user requirements. UPDATE
AWS MGN supports A2C Replatforming
AWS expands Application Migration Service to include .NET and Java applications replatforming via AWS App2Container. UPDATE
Google Cloud forecasts cybersecurity trends 2024
- Google Cloud's Cybersecurity Forecast 2024 combines insights from its security teams.
- AI use in cyberattacks and defense expected to rise.
- Increased reliance on zero-days and cloud services by attackers noted.
- Shift towards newer programming languages like Go, Rust, Swift by malware authors. UPDATE
AWS Cost Management Enhances MemoryDB
AWS introduces new Cost Explorer recommendations for purchasing Amazon MemoryDB reserved nodes, for cost optimization. UPDATE
GA release for synthetic monitoring
Google Cloud's synthetic monitoring, a tool to simulate user interactions for app performance, is now generally available. UPDATE
Lambda updates for Init and Restore errors
AWS Lambda now reports initialization and restore errors directly to CloudWatch Logs, simplifying troubleshooting for developers. UPDATE
NPW Insights this week
- Meta’s serverless platform processes
- Terraform cues on cloud market shares
- Netflix focus on developer experience